A Travellerspoint blog

Head under water


The new job changed very quickly. The previous manager of 14 years got pushed out and a new Dutch manager replaced him about a week later. He was a dick! Within a week of him starting, the two other scuba instructors left. I on the other hand decided to stick it out. Why did I do it to myself? Although I was earning quite well (for an instructor), on average I was doing 5-6 dives a day as I was the only instructor. Eventually it came to an end. I was very happy for that.

On a plus point I met some pretty nice people there. Firstly John and Eva. John was one of the two sensible instructors who left when the manager changed at ‘Pro Divers’ and Eva was his girlfriend who was just about to start her Divemaster course. Before I met them I had managed to have a month off the drink detoxing. That soon changed. Drinking game after drinking game. John knew bloody loads of them. The worst thing was that we had to drink the local spirit that they called ‘Monkey Juice’. Not good for the liver (or any other part of the body either). We lived on the big island out of the two. Unfortunately it was the boring island. So we had to get water taxis across to the other island if we wanted to go out for a big night. Eventually when I finished at Pro Divers I moved across to the small island. I moved back in with my buddy Victor. More drunken nights again.

Then my friend, Kieren from the UK came to visit me. While he was here I did his Open Water course with him and then we decided to go for a bit of a travel. So we went and spent a bit of time in Pinang on the other side of Malaysia for a few days. From there I jumped on the train into Thailand. I met up with a friend from Wokingham, Des. Des booked me a room in an awesome hotel in Bangkok called ‘The Loft’. It was amazing. Quite a big upgrade from the hut I had been staying in for the past few months. Again, another few heavy drinking nights in Bangkok with Des and his buddy. During the days I went for a walk round the city. I also did a couple of day’s Thai cooking course that I really enjoyed. Then I found myself another place to stay (one that my budget covered) that was recommended to me by Yvonne. It was a really cool little place. It was like walking back in time as soon as you walk through the front door. The furnishings were really cool and were all originals from the 50s. While I was there I decided that I needed a bit of civilization again so I booked my ticket for a visit back to the UK. The bad news was that all my dive equipment was left in Malaysia so I had to get the train back there first and then on to Kuala Lumpur to fly out back to the UK.

Posted by benhowe2 07:35 Archived in Malaysia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint